When you think of February 14th, chocolate, roses, and valentines may come to mind. But, did you know that it is also National Organ Donor Day? Being an organ donor could give someone a second chance at life. Organ donation is an important issue and here at ADKHW, we want you to get in the know.
Here are the top reasons why to become an organ donor:
- You can save up to 8 lives: One organ donor can save up to 8 lives! You’ll literally be a real-life superhero! Moreover, you’ll enhance the lives of more than 50 people with your donation. Meaning, your gift will positively impact the lives of the mothers, fathers, brothers, sisters, grandparents…you get the picture.
- There is an organ donation shortage: 22 people per day pass away waiting for transplants that can’t take place because of the shortage of donated organs. In New York State, only 24% of people ages 18 and over have enrolled in the NYS Donate Life Registry, compared to the national average of 51%.
- Donating your organs is FREE: Donating your organs does not cost your family any money, it’s absolutely free! Also, donors can still have open casket funerals.
- You can give life, even in death: When you pass away, you will no longer have any use for your organs. But, someone else needs them. There are more than 123,000 people in the U.S. are on the waiting list for organ transplants. Your donation could make all the difference.
- There is a high success rate of transplantation: Transplant survival rates continue to increase. The survival rates for transplants are approximate:
- 95% for kidney recipients
- 85% for liver and heart recipients
- 75% of lung recipients
We hope you have a fabulous Valentine’s Day…but we also hope you’ll take this time to reflect and decide if being an organ donor is the right choice for you. To become an organ donor, click here.