On June 18, Adirondack Health & Wellness attended a “Health & Wellness Mixer”. This event hosted lots of local vendors, exercise and boot camp gurus and Relaxation spas. This mixer was put in play in an effort to make Saratoga County the healthiest place to live, work and play! People today have busy, demanding lives. You may feel pulled in different directions and experience stress from dealing with work, family and other matters, leaving little time for yourself. Learning to balance your life with some time for yourself will pay off with big benefits — a healthy outlook and better health. Can you list 10 things that you do to keep your mind and body healthy? Just in case your list doesn’t make it up to 10, here are some tips from the experts!
- Be physically active for 30 minutes per day. Break this up into three 10-minute sessions when pressed for time. Healthy movement may include walking, sports, dancing, yoga, running or other activities you enjoy.
- Eat a well-balanced, low-fat diet with lots of fruits, vegetables and whole grains. Choose a diet that’s low in saturated fat and cholesterol, and moderate in sugar, salt and total fat.
- Relax! Get a massage.
- Don’t smoke, or quit if you do. Ask your health care provider for help.
- Drink in moderation if you drink alcohol. Never drink before or while driving, or when pregnant.
- Brush your teeth after meals with a soft or medium bristled toothbrush. Also brush after drinking and before going to bed. Use dental floss daily.
- Stay out of the sun, especially between 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. when the sun’s harmful rays are strongest. You are not protected if it is cloudy or if you are in the water.